Earlier this year, the Actuary of the Future (AOF) Section Council had an all-day in-person meeting at the Society of Actuaries (SOA) office. This meeting was long overdue, as most council members had never met each other in-person before. The meeting proved to be invaluable in building bonds within the council and generating discussions to better serve our section members. The two main portions of the meeting were to review existing frameworks and brainstorm new ways to bring value to our members. The council is excited to bring the renewed vision to life.
Here is what the AOF Section can offer to SOA members, students and candidates:
- We aim to keep actuaries at all levels current with the latest advances.
- We discuss topics ranging from exam preparation, job search and career development to industry trends and everything in between.
- We publish newsletters that showcase ideas and perspectives from different authors.
- We send out a monthly “AOF Hot Topics” email with summaries to a curated list of news articles.
- We collaborate with other sections to bring you exciting events such as a speculative fiction contest and networking mixer.
For college students and candidates, we host webcasts that teach about the actuarial profession from a panel of working actuaries. We also produce podcasts interviewing actuaries from different backgrounds and career paths. Additionally, we have an internship program for students and candidates looking to join the AOF Section Council.
Our offerings for experienced actuaries include sessions at SOA meetings, such as the SOA Annual Meeting & Exhibit, Health Meeting, Predictive Analytics Symposium, and Life and Annuity Symposium. We also host webcasts that count toward continuing professional development (CPD) requirements and are free to members one year after their release date.
The AOF is in the unique position to present a wide range of topics and bring a diverse audience together. The Section Council is committed to serving its members as best it can and welcomes all feedback and suggestions.
If you are looking for a place to start getting involved with the SOA, look no further. Join the AOF Section today, and better yet, volunteer with us!